We’ve been blown away (get it) by the response from Chicago as we’ve recently launched operations in the Chicago area as the only off-site delivery amenity for the multifamily community. We’ve learned a lot about the windy city and wanted to share some facts that you may not already know.
8 Interesting Facts about Chicago, IL
- 1.6 Million riders commute on Chicago’s public transportation network each day. The Chicago Transportation Authority or the “L” is the elevated train and is the second-largest transportation system in the nation.
- Chicago boasts more than 8,800 acres of green space, 26 miles of public beaches, and is super bike-friendly. It has 200 miles of bike lanes, 19 miles of water-front riding and more than 13,000 opportunities for bike parking.
- Chicagoans love to party. They have seven downtown and lakefront music festivals that are free to attend as well as more than 30 food festivals and more than 400 individual neighborhood festivals each year. This fun city also hosts more than 40 film festivals and 19 different parades in the downtown area.
- The Chicago Cubs’ Wrigley Field (originally called Weeghman Field), built in 1914, is the second-oldest Major League ballpark. It’s also the last ballpark to install lights (1988) so the home team can play night games!
- Chicago is the home to many iconic firsts including the first Ferris wheel, the brownie and Twinkie desserts, the first skyscraper, color television, cell phone, vacuum cleaner, the hot dog, spray paint, and the ever-famous deep dish pizza.
- Visitors to the second tallest building in the Western Hemisphere, Willis Tower, can see into four states from its Skydeck on a clear day: Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin, and Michigan.
- The Chicago River is the only river in the world that flows backward. This great engineering achievement was enacted to divert sewage away from Lake Michigan’s water supply.
- Chicagoans were paving the way to life-saving efforts before any other cities as Chicago was home to the first US blood bank in the nation as well as the first-ever open-heart surgery procedure.
Chicago is a fantastic city for many of the reasons stated above but also because it’s many apartment communities have welcomed Fetch to the area. If you’re interested in finding out more about how Fetch can make your community package-free in 30 days, let’s chat!